Saturday 26 November 2011

Ultimate Frisbee

Shank's pony is still the best way to travel anywhere in the world. So I slipped my minder and his car and took to sauntering along the roadsides like the majority of Kigalian's. Kigali is not a cosmopolitan city, a white face in the crowd is still a novelty, despite the numerous NGOs operating here.

I met a Mennonite teacher this morning, she hailed from "Chicago, Ilinois, U. S. of A.", who in her spare time plays with the Rwandan Ultimate Frisbee team. Last weekend she visited Uganda, why? To play an international match of course - Rwanda against Uganda Ultimate Frisbee.

Not being an extreme sport fan I decided against taking her advice and avoided the moto taxis.  Sitting on the back of a motorbike driven by a young Rwandan playing his own extreme sport along the red dirt streets is hardly my idea of fun. The dust roads on the hills of Kigali are slippery with dried mud and potholes, as sharp as a pair of scissors and as lethal. They're as likely to cut into the crowds milling along the edges, as a route to the mountains. Where tarmac is laid, it's courtesy of the Chinese. 


I've already managed to slip, slide my way under the car I was stepping into and covered myself in red, red mud. I'll stick to Shank's pony for now thank you. I'm not really an 'Ültimate' kind of girl.

1 comment:

  1. Driving at night in Africa.. always an adventure. Verges? Pah ! Road safety ? Tosh ! Speed limits? Crowds..

    ReplyDelete