Friday 25 November 2011

Day 2 Bibles for Breakfast

This morning there was no water. No water to flush the toilet, no water to wash with. It's a hot day and I have to attend a meeting of Church diginatories, with lank hair and a lipstick painted grin.

At 7am drugged with sleep after my long journey I was already late for breakfast with the Pastors, whose books and bibles were all ready on the table for their bi annual meeting to discuss spiritual doctrine. I scuttled away with a plate of omlette, bread and hot milk. I'm rarely up for discussing spiritual doctrine, especially when tired, smelly and hot.

Eating outside, people rushing to bring me a chair, a table, this strange white woman amongst so many men, perfectly happy to sit on the floor, I've probably offended someone.  In order not to offend further I dress, covering  shoulders to knees. It's the custom for women to dress modestly, its not easy for someone whose preferred hot weather attire is shorts and a vest top.  Pant pant.

No comments:

Post a Comment